Friday 29 July 2011

My Top Ten Films of All Time

What's a film review blog without a top ten list?  Here's my list of top ten movies of all time, it's rare I ever make changes to the top ten, but 11 to 20 swap around all the time and therefore I'm just sticking to the top ten.

10.  Gabriel

Gabriel is a 2007 Australian supernatural action film, set in purgatory.  It follows the archangel Gabriel as he travels to purgatory to fight the fallen angels and find out the fate of the other archangels.  I discovered this film after a friend, who has a reputation for liking terrible movies, recommended it, I dubiously watched it and discovered it was a great movie.

9.  Lake Placid

Lake Placid is a 1999 killer crocodile movie about, unsurprisingly, a giant crocodile killing people.  As you might have been able to tell from my Killer Crocodile Season, I like monster movies and I love the mix of horror and dark humour from this movie.

8.  Sweeney Todd

Sweeney Todd is the 2007 horror musical director by Tim Burton.  I really like musicals and Sweeney Todd is just excellent all around, it's got a great cast and a terrific sound track.

7.  Misery

Misery is the 1990, oscar winning adaptation of Stephen King's novel of the same name.  I have read the novel hundreds of times and seen the film just as many.  It's a classic, though I still can't watch the hobbling scene, no matter how many times I've seen the movie.

6.  Lord of the Rings (Trilogy)

Lord of the Rings, the trilogy won a total of 17 Oscars and was nominated for a further 13.  I'm a Star Wars fan, but this was the trilogy for my generation.  It's epic.  I like to watch all three films back to back, extended edition of course, then watch it with the cast commentary back to back, then the directors, and so on.  Yeah, I'm a nerd.

5.  Alien Quadrilogy

The Alien franchise needs little explanation and if it does, you just need to go out and watch these films.  Some people dislike the latter 2, but I like them all in their own way.  I just really like monster movies, I suppose.

4.  Starship Troopers

Starship Troopers was released in 1997 and was the first movie I ever went to see in the cinema that I wasn't old enough to see.  Did I mention I like monster movies?  It's about space marines fighting space bugs and is satirical and just brilliant.


3.  The Crow 

The Crow, released in 1994.  Eric Draven and his girlfriend Shelley are murdered, later, Eric is brought back to life by the spirit of the crow to exact revenge.  Everyone has that one movie which defined their teenage years and this was mine.  One of the only posters I still have up is a poster from this movie, I have two others which I keep up due to the sentimental reasons of the people who gave me them.  Of all the movies on this list, if they got remade, this is the one which would break my heart.

2.  Jurassic Park

Jurassic Park giving every child who grew up in the 90's nightmares about velociraptors jumping out of wardrobes and eating them.  Revolutionised the way CGI was done in films.  It's about dinosaurs eating people, but come on, you knew that.

1.  JAWS

JAWS I first saw it in 1985 and it started a life long obsession with sharks.  It's the ultimate monster movie, every horror movie tries to be the JAWS for it's own sub-genre.  Few ever achieve this.  I watch this movie all the time, I named my dog Brody after the main character.  I love this movie, it's place in my heart could never ever be replaced because it affected me as such a young child.

5 comments:

  1. your choice is so good,actually i am also intersted to look this type of film so i am very thanks of you regarding for excellent movie on Top Ten Movies.keep posting.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabriel it is then. I am trusting your list here only because of your LOTR review. I too do all that watching back to back lol. Soo I'm going to give Gabriel a go (only one on list I haven't seen). Hope it's good...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learn some new stuff from it too, thanks for sharing your information. buy dvd into the badlands season 2

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting and amazing how your post is! It Is Useful and helpful for me That I like it very much, and I am looking forward to Hearing from your next.. buy dvd the x files season 11

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful article, thanks for putting this together! This is obviously one great post. Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here. film norwich

    ReplyDelete